"Hi" I'm so glad you stopped by! :D

NEW! Snap In iPad cases

8.11.11

Norman Rockwell's Thanksgiving Classic

In 1943, during the Second World War, Rockwell painted the Four Freedoms series, which was completed in seven months and resulted in his losing 15 pounds.  (I think I'll take up painting) :D  The series was inspired by a speech by Franklin D. Roosevelt, in which he described four principles for universal rights: Freedom from Want, (pictured at left) Freedom of Speech, Freedom to Worship, and Freedom from Fear.  The paintings were published in 1943 by The Saturday Evening Post.

As Thanksgiving approaches, this painting always comes to mind.  I love Norman Rockwell's work, which depicts everyday life with a little humor.  In later years this illustration became know as Norman Rockwell's Thanksgiving painting.  That makes perfect sense as the setting is obviously that of a family about to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast!

To all of you, my friends and family I extend a "Happy Thanksgiving" and hope you all enjoy this time together with loved ones that we are truly grateful for.

No comments: