"Hi" I'm so glad you stopped by! :D

NEW! Snap In iPad cases

18.4.12

Bernina

Today I would like to introduce you to a machine that has become a permanent fixture in my life as of late. So permanent, in fact, that my husband is starting to get a little jealous. If I'm not sewing, I'm cutting fabric that I'm about to sew, or sending off a bag that I've just finished sewing. Or sleeping. I have continued to make time for that. And eating. Because, you just have to eat.

So, I decided that if I am going to spend so much time with this machine called Bernina, I might as well get to know Bernina a little better. 

The first thing you must know is who first introduced me to this lovely little machine. My own mother, Elmo Smith. She was not only a beautiful lady, but a wonderful seamstress. 

The second thing you must know is the machine that I started on. It's now just a decoration in my sewing room, because it's now an antique. Kind of like me. ;)


Back to Bernina's. So, let's start with the mother of all Bernina's. This cute little gal became the first household sewing machine developed by Fritz Gegauf with the help of an embroidery factory, Brütsch  & Sohn. Can you guess when she was born?

Well then, I'll tell you. 

1932 (She definitely lived in the "olden days"!)

By 1937, they had produced 20,000 of these babies! In 1945, Fritz introduced the world's first portable zigzag machine.

And, the success of Bernina just kept growing from there.

By 1963, they had manufactured ONE MILLION of these zizag machines.


Now, I will introduce you to the two Bernina's that have taken residence in my home. This first one is called the Bernina 830, born in 1971, and the first Bernina with an electric foot. This particular machine was the top-of-the-line model for 11 years and Bernina's all time best seller! Cool, huh? This machine has been my trusted comrade for several years. It has helped me sew my children's clothes when they were little, altered and made beautiful prom dresses for my daughter, and seen me through many a patch and hem. Then I started making device bags and cases 24/7, and realized I needed a back-up! So.....

Then came along the Bernina B380. This isn't my back-up machine, of course! This is my shiny, new "Cadillac" machine that I use most of the time now. It's got a few more fancy features, and helps me crank out an average of two bags a day.

And, this is a close-up of the foot. I'm mostly just adding it because I thought it was a cool looking picture.
(I hope Bernina isn't self-conscious of her foot.) :D

1 comment:

Jared said...

My friends name is Suzuki. last name Hyabusa and she ain't no Cadillac. Bernina has nice feet, Suzuki would be jealous.